What a great event with many that took part to make the COPA for Kids 2014 such a successful event. Many thanks goes out to: COPA, Teresa B, COPA Flight #185 Executive, the pilots and their planes, Stars, Air Ambulance, Chris with Wapiti Sand and Gravel (provided hot dogs and beverages) the many volunteers that helped out with registration, first aid, kid escort to the aircraft and safety, Peace Aero Modellers Club, Les with the Grande Prairie Soaring Society, Peace Recreational Flyers, Adventure Air, Town of Beaverlodge and Staff, and lastly Marilyn Grubb from Chipabirdee Images that took these wonderful photos that documented the day.
The next meeting of the WPAA will be held at 1000 hrs on 11 January 2014 at the Neighbourhood Resource Centre in Beaverlodge.
Our guest speaker will be Andy Stewart from STARS. Andy will be talking about his flying experiences as a military pilot, a test pilot and a STARS pilot.
Our main topic of discussion will be the potential of taking over operation of the Beaverlodge airport (CEU2).
So come out to be in the picture of the presentation to Teresa that will be in the local and COPA papers, listen to Andy and then enter the discussion on operating CEU2.
WE NEED YOU AT THE MEETING SATURDAY!
The next meeting of the WPAA will be held at 1000 hrs on 14 Dec 2013 at the Multi-Purpose Room in the New Beaverlodge Pool Complex just north Neighborhood Resource Centre in Beaverlodge.
I have included the minutes of the last meeting and a map for those new people that would like to attend. Note the map shows the Neighborhood Resource Centre – just come across the parking lot to the Pool Complex.
Now for some news:
1. Shell has just announced the development of an unleaded aviation fuel. Read more…
2. Just received a text from Dave Knox. He is in Winnipeg after picking up his Aztec in Ontario. Should have it hear by Wednesday.
3. I was able to get checked out on the Warrior last Saturday and made it to Beaverlodge before the snow hit. C-GQEW is now safely in the hanger for the winter. Jim and Chris were at the airport to meet me and then thanks to Chris, we toasted the new arrival with Champagne.
See you Saturday.
COPA for Kids was so successful adults said there should be a day for adults who may have ridden in big planes but not in small ones.
On September 28, 2013, at the Beaverlodge Airport COPA Flight #184 introduced 59 kids to small airplane flight. It was a total success graded on safety and fun.
Credit goes to:
- Parents for bringing their young people to the airport to let them share the excitement of flying. Oh, and for reading the rules and procedures and following all needed protocols.
- The kids for sharing their joy, coping with anxiety (a very few) and turning it to excitement and like their guardians, listing to the instructors and responding to the pilots.
- The pilots who donated the cost of the flights in exchange for the grins on everyone, including themselves.
- Volunteers who spent hours in advance, all of September 28, 2013 and clean up time later. Unsung too often, these were the folk who took a bright idea and made it happen.
Again the theme for the barbeque is “Flying” of course. We would like you to come to the barbeque with something aviation oriented. Fly in with you plane, glider, or car but you have to bring…. a paper airplane? Hopefully the weather will be good for some flying!
This will be a potluck type event but bring your own meat and lawn chairs. Dwayne will look into arranging a barbeque.
Please RSVP as soon as possible if you are planning to attend.
The last day for the COPA AGM in Dawson Creek. Yesterday I saw and visited many local pilots there. It was sure a great turnout for the event. I was impressed on how many aircraft that flew in and the amount of volunteers that helped out to make the event possible. I enjoyed visiting the booths at the trade show. I took a few snaps from my iPhone but they are not all that great so if some one else could send me some better photos to show case the happening that would be great.
One of our local pilots Gerald Beaudoin is participating in the COPA Yukon and Alaska Airtour. He is going to share photos and video of his trip daily. Stay tuned!
We now have added a page on our website for local aircraft for sale. Check that out as well.
COPA AGM 2013 is just around the corner: June 21-23 hosted by the Mile Zero Flying Club
Here is a link for information on the event CLICK HERE
“ ALL PILOTS ”
RUST REMOVER COURSE
*** PARTICIPATION QUALIFIES AS
RECURRENCY TRAINING ***
SATURDAY MAY 4TH 2013
Grand Haven Airstrip Hangar #1
Just West of Fort St. John, B.C. N56-14-33, W120-52-53
THE RUNWAY IS CLOSED
Land at main airport & call 250-262-1309 for pick-up.
BREAKFAST 07:30 – 08:30 MST
* LUNCH SERVED ON LOCATION
COST $25.00 PER PARTICIPANT
INCLUDES BREAKFAST & LUNCH
Hosted by the Alaska Highway RAA
* CONTACT: Heath Tanner – 250-785-475
August Lehmann – 250-843-7270